Who Killed the Electric Car? watch the movie
* For all of the following questions, supplement your answers with data and other evidence from the film.
* Keep your assignments under 3 full pages (filling out 3 pages is probably a good target), single-spaced, 12 point font, and 1” margins.
* All answers should be based on the situation the company was facing at the time of the case content.
1. Describe in detail the issue(s) at the heart of the documentary, Who Killed the Electric Car? Be very detailed here; I need to be convinced that you watched and paid close attention to the entire film. This should be at an industry level. Then address what strategic issue(s) General Motors is facing at the conclusion of the video.
2. Analyze General Motors as an organization and its industry:
a. Internal – RBV Analysis. Consider General Motors’ resources and capabilities. What resources and/or capabilities fit the four RBV criteria to be a potential source of sustainable competitive advantage? Be sure to explain your choices.
b. External – Porter’s Five Forces. For each force, identify whether and why the influence is low, medium, or high. Finally, make a general conclusion about the attractiveness and competitive environment in the automotive industry.
c. External – General Environment. Choose three of the six (demographic, sociocultural, political/legal, technological, economic, and global) general environment segments considered in Chapter 2 (pgs. 43-51). Provide two factors or trends within each of the three segments that you choose.
3. Provide recommendations (at least two) for General Motors moving forward. Your recommendations MUST address the issue(s) at the center of the documentary.