What is ethnocentrism and why is it important in relations with the dominant culture and minority groups?
|textbook: Parrillo, Vincent N. Strangers to these Shores. 11th Edition. Chapter 1 – 5 of Parillo textbook
Answer any 10 questions in 5 sentences each. 2.5 points each
1. What is ethnocentrism and why is it important in relations with the dominant culture and minority groups?
2. Give an examples of social distance or ethnocentrism from your own experiences and or observations with family, friends, or neighbors on campus, in your communities or at work.
3. How does a race differ from an ethnic group and what is the difference between a minority group and a race?
4. What is the relationship among culture, reality and intergroup relations?
5. What is the relationship between ethnicity and social class?
6. Do any persistent subcultures live near your home or campus (or have you even come across any)? If so, what have been your experiences with them? What do you know about them? How do you interact with or relate with them?
7. How do functional and conflict perspectives approach the factors likely to contribute to intergroup conflict?
8. What are some of the common and possible causes of prejudice and what is the difference between prejudice and discrimination?
9. Some Caucasians and minority leaders are dissatisfied with “affirmative action” as being unfair and attaching a stigma to minority achievement. Other Caucasian and minority leaders say that it is still necessary to create a level playing field. What are your thoughts on affirmative action and why did you provide the response that you have given?
10. Is racial profiling always a bad thing? Why or why not?
11. What are middle men minorities and how do they affect attendance?
12. Can you give examples and comments on specific examples of residential or public school segregation in any nearby communities.
13. Discuss the major theories of minority integration and give specific local examples of a middleman minority enterprise where members of one community group provide services to members of a different minority group.
14. What similarities in dominant – minority patterns were shared by most northern and western European immigrants?
15. What are some examples of cultural pluralism amongst the Dutch, French, Irish and German peoples in the United States? How is it different from other ethnic and minority groups that you are familiar with?
||From the text book Parrillo, Vincent N. Strangers to these Shores. 11th Edition. Chapter 1 – 5
Click to Download Solution
Purchase to Unlock Doc
Purchase Solution $29