Watch this video by Bryan Stevenson, “We Need to Talk About An Injustice.”
And answer the following questions in the additional material.
- What is the rhetorical situation in this video? How does it impact what was said and how it was said? Be specific! What is the exigence? How does it impact the arguer and the audience?
- How is this an academic-style argument? Be specific, pointing out not only the rhetorical moves used but identifying examples from the video to back up your ideas.
- Is “each of us more than the worst thing we’ve ever done”? Are we more? And if so, what does that mean? Be specific here – what does it mean to you personally? What does it mean to your life? What does it mean to your culture and our society?
- What is the “character of our society” right now – and what should it be?
- Is this speech compelling? Why or why not? Specifically, what here speaks or does not speak to you on a human, real level?