How The Other Guy Lives!
Objective: To increase your awareness of another culture and its potential impact on intercultural communication.
1. Select one of the following cultures and do one of the activities associated with that culture (or you may design your own cultural activity, BUT it must be pre-approved). Be prepared to explain:
a. Why you chose the activity and descriptive details of the experience
b. How your participation changed your perspective regarding the culture
c. The potential impact of cultural variables (specific to your experience) on communication interactions
1. Take public transportation for 24 hours.
You may choose from #1-4 2. Wear the same clothes for 48 hours.
3. Live on $3.75 for 24 hours.
4.No use of communication technology or media for 24 hours; no cell phones, no computers, no TV, no radios, etc.,
Religion Attend a worship service of a religion that differs from the religion you practice.
Talk with the congregational leader about his/her religious practices (How do they differ from yours and why?)
English as a Second/Additional Language Speakers (ESL) Volunteer to help or participate within an ESL class/outing/environment.
Talk to a participant to discuss victories and frustrations in the management of communication breakdowns.
Deafness texting, sign language, etc., but NO SPEAKING!
Do not speak (use verbal communication) for 24 hours. You can use notes,
Wear earplugs in both ears for 8 hours during the day.
Hearing Impaired Describe what it feels like to be hearing impaired.
Discuss your frustrations and experiences.
Sexual Orientation Participate in an event or interview a person who is a part of the LGBTQ community.
Discuss communication behaviors and avoidances.
2. Be sure to post your typed, 1 page analysis using a 10-12 point font, by creating a Discussion Board thread during week 7. Be sure to compose your paper in the standard format by including an introduction, body, and conclusion.
3. So, you must read and respond to at least 3 of your peers’ posts during week 7 via Discussion Board. In your post, comment on topics including: Do you agree or disagree with your peers’ observations? Why or why not? Do you have other evidence to support your claims? Can you offer alternative interpretations to the cultural, linguistic, or physical observations shared by the author?