The Assignment: Read the relevant selections and answer the questions in a 4-5 page paper:
I. Political Systems
“The Edicts of King Ashoka, c. 269-232 BCE”
“Ancient History Sourcebook: Aristotle: On the Lacedaemonian Constitution, c. 340 BCE”
“Medieval Sourcebook: Magna Carta, 1215”
A) Which of the three political systems do you think is best? Why? Identify a criterion by which to gauge the effectiveness or desirability of a political system. Use this to construct your essay.
B) Describe the political systems of the three societies (Mauryan, Spartan, and medieval English). For example, what are the fundamental principles guiding the political systems of the three?
C) What are some of the major points of comparison and contrast among the three political systems as defined in the readings?
1) Think of what makes or constitutes a good/successful political system. Explain how that criterion was critical to the success of one of the societies. Also show the impact the other societies had for lacking that criterion.
2) This writing assignment requires you to determine an ideal political system, describe that ideal political system then compare it to the other two societies’ political systems.
3) The paper must be submitted in standard font (Times New Roman 12), double-spaced, and with standard one-inch margins. Failure to do so will result in a substantial reduction in grade.
4) Cadets should rely only on the assigned readings to complete the assignment. Use of outside sources is prohibited.
5) The paper must include documentation, in the form of parenthetical references within the paper, as described in the MLA Handbook.
ONLY USE THE PROVIDED LINKS AS YOUR SOURCES.
Structure of the paper
Introduction paragraph: -should contain the chosen criterion(briefly explained) with a clear thesis statement
1st paragraph: – Should explain the criteria used in deciding the best political system among the three societies. Show how you are going to judge the political systems in the three societies.
2nd paragraph: Explain how and why the chosen political system in one of the three societies succeed with the criterion chosen
3rd paragraph & 4th paragraph: Elaborate on how each of the other two societies’ political systems lacked the chosen criterion and how did this impact their political system’s success.
5th paragraph: address the possible disadvantages of the chosen criterion and how those disadvantages affected the political systems of those societies.
6th paragraph : conclusion: Don’t bring new ideas in the conclusion.