Week 8: Signature Assignment
You have covered a multitude of topics in this course, ranging from basic listening skills to reflection of feelings across a range of populations and client challenges. You explored important considerations beginning with the first moment you meet an interviewee and ending with your saying goodbye at the end of your work together. You have conducted mock interviews, observed expert counselors, generated lectures, scripts, and presentations, and even played 20 Questions.
In this final week of the course, you have an opportunity to consolidate these concepts and experiences in your own mind as well as in a written document. You are encouraged to consider not only the content learned but also the emotions they evoked and the self-awareness it may have fostered in you.
Review previously assigned Books and Resources as necessary to prepare for this week’s assignment(s).
Week 8 – Signature Assignment: Prepare an Interviewing Resource Guide (23 Points)
Your task this week is to compile a resource and reference guide on interviewing skills suitable for use within a particular context studied in this course (I/O, Forensic, Health, or Child/Adolescent). In your resource and reference guide, be sure to address the following with a brief section on each:
- Provide an overview of the stages of interviewing, including Exploration, Action, and Termination.
- Explain the key skills to be employed at each of the three stages, their importance within the context of the consulting relationship, and related considerations such as the timing of the interview.
- Describe your experience, for each skill you identified, by using or observing the skill in this course, including the emotions it triggered in you or obstacles that you had to overcome. Integrate these as real-world examples to share with the intended audience of your guide.
- Consider how having diverse clients from different cultural backgrounds might affect your use of each of the skills you have identified (if at all). Specifically, compare and contrast how these skills would be applied to clients from two different cultural backgrounds.
In a separate section within your assignment, prepare a reflection to address the following:
- Present a self-analysis in which you reflect on the skills you seem to have mastered fairly well and which you may need to work on. What are your strengths and areas for improvement, based on your experiences in this course? What values and dispositions do you possess that will undoubtedly serve you well while interviewing and are there any that might impede the process?
- Summarize what you have gained from this course, and then explain how it may affect your future professional and personal relationships.
You may incorporate thoughts from your previous course assignments, with revisions, as part of your resource guide.
Support your assignment with at least seven scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including seminal articles, may be included.
Length: 12-15 pages, not including title and reference pages
Your assignment should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards. Be sure to adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.
Upload your document and click the Submit to Dropbox button.
Learning Outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4
- Select interview techniques for various purposes of psychology.
- Critique one’s own communication skills needed in helping professions.
- Portray human communication skills used in professional settings.
- Develop culturally competent communication skills.