Pick one of the topics below and find TWO articles that apply to your choice (they don’t have to be peer-reviewed, but please use your judgment – use reputable sources).
The focus of your ‘research’ should be something like:
What’s currently being done to address this issue?
What are some proposed solutions I find feasible?
(i.e. What are some actions I see myself being able to do?)
I choose the topic Feeding more people with less land but feel free to to pick up anyone from here.
Here are the broad topics that could be investigated (others are possible if you check in with me first, but you run the risk of having to present on your own!):
1) Reducing consumer demand for “stuff.”
2) Feeding more people with less land — creative agriculture, things like city farming, hydroponics, aquaponics.
3) Water insecurity — how to get water to those that don’t have access to water (or water of good quality).
4) Reducing CO2 emissions — reducing energy demand from industry, homes, businesses, transportation, etc.
5) Climate change — how to mitigate the causes and/or to adapt to the adverse conditions created by climate change.
6) Biodiversity and conservation — what people are doing to preserve ecosystems sustainably, i.e. efforts that are effective and will last in the long-term.
7) Sustainable cities – We didn’t directly discuss this a lot, but you may look into what people are doing to “live green” in urban areas.
8) Using the internet and/or social media to get people not only informed, but involved and taking action.