BICG 9102-03 – CONCEPTS IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
ASSIGNMENT ONE – due October 7
Evaluating political and economic risk is an important element of determining whether to do business in a particular country. You work for a successful mid-priced hotel chain headquartered in India that wants to expand into two new markets by opening its own outlets. As part of her analysis, the president asks you to assess political and economic risk levels in two distinct markets.
Provide a brief overview of the two countries and explain why they would or would not be a good opportunity for your company. Make a final recommendation on which country to enter first, if any.
• GDP per capita
• Purchasing Power Parity
• Population demographics
• Tourism statistics
• Economic system
• Ease of doing business ranking
• political system
• legal system
• country risk
1. United States
2. Choose from: Canada, Chile, Italy, Malaysia, Qatar, South Africa, Taiwan, Trinidad, United Kingdom (you must go online and choose a country – a maximum of 4 students can choose each location).
GlobalEdge – globaledge.msu.edu
1. Resource Desk: Gives access to a wide variety of statistics, as well as the
• A.M. Best Country Risk Ratings
• World Bank Country Rankings
• CIA World FactBook, etc.
2. Interactive Rankings
Niagara College Library:
ABI Inform – gives access to a wide variety of statistics
Maximum: 800 words
– MAY use point form
– MAY use charts, tables and graphs
– MUST include a reference list, and MUST provide a source for all of your data, graphs, quotes, etc.
– ACCEPTABLE FORMATS: Word, Pages, hard copy. No handwritten or email text assignments, please.
Due: October 7, 2015
end of class: hard copy
11:59 pm: electronic
Submit by email to: email@example.com