<Your name here>
Begin working on HW1 as soon as possible. This assignment covers chapters 1 through 4 of the class textbook and the reading assignments on VPNs and IPv6 included in the folder with this assignment.
Refer to the assignment posted on blackboard to determine which problems should be completed.
Add your answers to this document (leave the questions here so that you can refer back to the assignment later and it will still be useful).
Please consider the other problems as additional material to study in preparation for exams. Answers to unassigned problems will not be graded, but you may include them if you so choose.
- Give three examples of application level Internet services.
- Place the following items in order from oldest to most recent:
- Global Internet begins
b. DARPA begins working on an internet technology
c. 100,000,000 computers on the Internet
d. TCP and IP protocols begin operating on ARPANET
e. CSNet funded
- Why was IPv6 created?
- Name some advantages of both of the above two approaches.
- What is a long haul network?
- Name four network technologies that have been used in teh Internet (as explained in Ch. 2 of your text).
- What two 802.3 technologies are under development?
- Define the three types of 48-bit MAC addresses used by 802.3?
- What are the common names for 802.11 and 802.15.4?
- SONET uses _____________ which produces 8000 ____________, where each _______ is ________ bits.
- From the point of view of Internet protocols a __________ is treated exactly like a separate ____________________.
- What can congestion lead to in Ethernet networks.?
- What are two fundamental observations about the design of communications systems?
- What do routers use when making decisions about how to forward packets?
Ch4 *** Sections 4.7 to 4.12
- What are two things that the protocol layering principle offers?
- What advantages do VPNs have when compared to traditional business remote access connectivity such as dedicated T1 lines and dial-up lines?
- What two types of tunnel connections are usually set up to support VPNs and what is the main difference between these?
- What advantages does L2TP have when compared to PPTP and L2F?
- Explain the two “modes” that can be used with IPSec.
- What are the important pieces of an end-to-end VPN solution and what do these pieces do?
- What are the main features and benefits of IPv6?
- Why is renumbering an IPv6 network easier than an IPv4 network?
- What is Path MTU Discovery and why is it needed?