In the report, you will do the following:
• define the problem persuasively and accurately • propose a solution or solutions to the problem or issue • present that solution to a decision-maker or group of decision-makers who can implement the recommendation.
The report will include the following components presented in the following order:
• letter to the decision maker • executive summary • table of contents • introduction • body of the report to include headings and subheadings • conclusion stated as a recommendation for implementation of the solution • References page, with references listed in APA format o Instructions on how to list an interview in APA format can be seen at the following url: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/11/
The report does not need a title page. (I think this is more like business format.)
The complete report should be 2000-3000 words, not including the list of references.
Primary and Secondary Sources:
The report must incorporate the results of your own primary research. When integrating primary research, you must explain the method(s) you used to gather it and a copy in your report’s appendices of any collection instrument you used (survey form, questionnaire, interview questions, etc.).
The complete report should also cite at least seven secondary sources. At least three of these secondary sources should come from peer-reviewed, scholarly journals.
As noted above, your primary and secondary sources will be integrated into the paper to explain the problem, provide evidence of the problem, and support the solution.
You might have taken WRTG 393 at UMUC. In WRTG 393, the final paper is a white paper. This assignment is different from the white paper in WRTG 393. In this paper for WRTG 394, you are writing to a specific decision-maker about a specific problem in your workplace or community. The audience is much more focused than that for the white paper in WRTG 393.
Defining the Specific Problem:
In preparing to write this assignment, please be aware of the following cautions in fulfilling the assignment instructions:
• If you write a report to your manager at work suggesting that a better training program be established for certain employees, you cannot simply prepare a report on employee training. You must show that the specific type of training you are advocating will solve a specific problem or problems with regard to employee training in your organization. • If you are proposing that email be used less frequently for communication at your workplace and that another application be used to improve communication, you cannot simply write a report on the problem with having too much email. You must show that the use of email at your current workplace presents problems and that the use of another means of communication would solve the problem. • If you write a report to your neighborhood community association that a traffic light be posted at a particular intersection, you cannot simply prepare a report on the benefits of traffic safety. You must show that the specific intersection in your neighborhood needs a traffic light in order to improve safety. • If you write a report to the manager of your unit at work noting that recycling facilities in the workplace should be improved, you cannot simply prepare a report on the benefits of recycling or of good recycling facilities in offices. You must show that your specific work environment lacks adequate recycling facilities and show how it will benefit from improved recycling facilities.
A Reminder about the Role of Primary Research in Supporting the Argument:
For your report, you will very likely find it beneficial to conduct some primary research. For Writing Assignment #3, you gathered some primary research. For Writing Assignment #4, you want to fill in any gaps needed by conducting additional primary research if necessary. Some suggestions for primary research were given in the instructions for Writing Assignment #3. They are as follows:
• For a report suggesting an improved training program for employees, you might conduct interviews with fellow workers on the topic to see how and why they might benefit from the program. • If you are proposing that email be used less frequently for communication and that another application be used to improve communication, you might interview fellow employees on the situation, and you might take screen captures of alternative communication tools to illustrate how they work and would improve communication in your office. • For a report on posting a traffic light in your neighborhood, you might take pictures of the intersection to show the problems that are occurring now and how a traffic light will alleviate them.
• For a report on recycling facilities, you might take pictures of the office environment to show that current recycling facilities are inadequate, and you might interview fellow workers about whether they find it easy to recycle materials at your office.
Please note that, if you interview people for your research, you must cite the interviews in your paper. In the paper, you cannot simply write that you “spoke with employees.” A url on how to cite an interview in APA citation style is provided in the list of components for the report.
Length of your paper:
Your report should be 2000-3000 words in length. Again, you are required to use at least seven sources, with at least three of them being acquired through UMUC Library OneSearch.
Your report might benefit from graphics. As mentioned above, pictures of your workplace or community situation might help illustrate the problem you are trying to address. Graphs, tables, or charts might help show trends that will persuade your decision-maker that the problem exists.
Please do not incorporate a graphic for the sake of incorporating a graphic. Include a graphic only if it helps communicate a message in your report.
Your instructor will notify you of the due date. You will write a first draft, your instructor will comment on the first draft, and you will submit a second draft using the comments as your guide.
Strategies to Consider for this Assignment:
• Victoria University of Wellington has a thorough outline and review of the components of this type of business report. • Murdoch University has an excellent guide for this type of report. • Colorado State University presents excellent tips in organizing the report.
Topics to Help You Come Up with Ideas on this Assignment:
Some possible workplace research topics are the following. These are examples to help you get started. Please contact your instructor to have other topic ideas approved.
• Making a change in the computer infrastructure at your workplace • Establishing a drug policy • Establishing an employee leave donation program • Establishing an equipment donation program for used computers, etc. • Establishing a company recycling program (paper, etc.) • Education/retraining for your employees • Designing a training program for workplace safety issues • Redesigning employee performance evaluations
• Establishing on-site day care or providing other child care benefits • Providing gym membership or creating an on-site workout facility • Creating or revising a charitable contribution policy • Creating or improving a tuition assistance program • Accommodations needed for employee/s with specific health issues (for example, migraines) • Establishing a Habitat for Humanity (or other group) chapter at your organization
Some students have chosen topics outside of their workplaces, such as the following: • Getting additional lighting in the neighborhood • Changing traffic patterns around your child’s school • Starting a PTA website for your child’s school • Constructing a crying baby room at your place of worship • Offering ESL courses at your church • Increasing participation in a military Family Support Group • Introducing a youth sports program to a school or community